VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

beech 215 electric prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: beech 215 electric prop Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone knows a parts source for the 215 prop? Specifically, I'm needing the pitch change bearing. Appreciate any help.
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Beech 215 pitch change bearing sources Reply with quote

Aero Propeller usually has them available. These items are usually very expensive when you can find them.

Aero Propeller Inc.
Sales and service
4200 Walden Weaver rd.
Hanger # 1 Hemet-Ryan Airport
Hemet CA 92545
Business Hours: 8 - 5pm Monday -- Friday
Telephone: (951) 765-3178
skyking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give them a try.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Beech 215 electric prop Reply with quote

What ever you do, take care of the 215 prop. They are the best thing going for older Bonanza's. Easy to maintain, easy to operate, and the best thing about them.....never had an AD issued against them. I've maintained 3 locally and only had minor problems with them. When you have the prop apart to change that pitch change bearing, take a good look at the pitch change gear at the areas near the ends of the teeth. Most of these have a tendency to wear away the first tooth because of the action of the pitch change motor, it will wear away the last tooth and this will cause the prop not to change pitch after take-off, then you'll be running at a very low RPM with a very low pitched prop so as not to over speed it. This happened to my 35 and I was able to fix the gear by welding new teeth on in place of the old ones, reshaped them and then had the gear magnafluxed for cracks.....simple and easy fix but a real pain in the you know what.

Jim
1947 Straight 35
Jim Aitken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: 215 propeller Reply with quote

There is reason that the last tooth on the pitch change gear wears out. The manual pitch change switch is wired directly to the motor. In this manner there is no way to tell when the gear is at it's stop, and the pinion rotates against the spring stops and chews on the last tooth. I wired mine through the relay so that the microswitches will stop the motor at the gear limits. Actually the original installations were wired through the relay but on the 48 models they were wired directly, the claim being that it is a more reliable system by eliminating the relay in the circuit.
I disagree because the full current including the startup amperage surge of a highly inductive load passes through the selector switch which causes arcing and lowers the life of the impossible to replace manual switch.

Suitable replacement (Omron) limit switches are available from Digi Key, Item No. SW196-ND, about $15 ea.
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Pitch change bearings Reply with quote

I recently heard that Dan Towery has a pitch change bearing for sale.

501-825-7007
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: