VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement/reskined aleron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Replacement/reskined aleron Reply with quote

When you get a replacement or reskined aileron, do they always use magnesium skins or can they re-skin them in aluminum? I know that an aileron that's riveted together has been reskined. What material do they use? Do the new Bonanzas use aluminum or mag?

John
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: RE: Replacement/reskined aleron Reply with quote

John,
Unless things have changed recently, these skins all come from Raytheon/Beech. The skins can be order drilled or undrilled as a Beech part #. The Ailerons and Flap skins can be either Magnesium or Aluminum, most choose Aluminum these days as they may last longer, and maybe cost less. Now the Ruddervators can only be Magnesium due to the weight and balance limitations, but again they would also be ordered by Beech part # from Beech and come available drilled or undrilled.

There are several companies that will reskin the control surfaces and they are set up with the proper jig to accomplish the task and are aware of the issue of balance etc. Some are better than others in regard to quality craftsmanship. I have the list on the web site, let me know if you need the link, a call into one of these repair facilities could answer all your questions.

Bryan
Harv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bryan for your good info.
Is there a way to tell (after paint, on the plane) if a reskined aileron is mag or aluminum? One of mine is reskined and the other is original. The original one has a small area that I don't like. And I'm trying to be prepared for bad news during my annual next month.

Now, if I could just get my side windows to stop leaking in the rain I could keep my carpet dry......

John
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Replacement/reskined aileron Reply with quote

You may have several possible avenues to determine the aileron type skin, first, go the the log books and 337's and repair station yellow tag for this aileron. Find out the part number used. Find out the repair facility that did the work. Second, ask one of the reskin repair facilities what they recommend using, I think most will recommend aluminum and it may not matter what the other aileron skin is. Third, you probably are already aware of how to test the bare metal to determine the material, but since its painted. I have a question, who did the painting of the aileron, they should have know what the material was because the magnesium uses a different paint process than aluminum.
Harv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this K35 back in July. I do remember seeing the entry for the aileron work. I'll go dig it up again. I was thinking that if I get into it for a new aileron, I'd like them to match. I didn't do the paint (looks like it was painted in Tijuana, and considering I bought it in SanDeigo it could have been) so I don't know what paint process they used.
Thanks

John
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Replacement/reskined aileron Reply with quote

If all else fails, it wouldn't be that difficult to remove and find a inconspicuous area along the leading edge of the skin that isn't exposed, and bring it down to bare metal and test then repaint. Of course you could check the weight of both ailerons, the magnesium should weigh less, but that is not accounting for the rivets and counter balance weights along the leading edge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: