VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recommendations for a vintage bonanza

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kklarfeld

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: recommendations for a vintage bonanza Reply with quote

I am in the market for a vintage bonanza. I have seen many between 40 and 60K that look very nice with the correct engine times and nice avionics. All are 1950 +- a few years. Can anyone make recommendations as to what to stay away from or what to look for? I know I want a constant speed hydraulic prop and no speed restrictions.
tcureton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I am going to respond to your inquiry from the stand point of someone who was in the same position as you.

I recently purchased a 1955 V35 Bonanza that needed a little attention.

The Aircraft was all 1955 with the exception of the upgraded Nav/Com and a few FAA mandated changes over the fifty plus years.

I've been learning at lot about Bonanza's (with the help of a Bonanza friendly IA, A&P mechanic friend)as I progress through my upgrade.

Ken make sure you know a good mechanic who knows and or likes working on Bonanza's.

Second I would take my time and looked for low total time aircraft that has been well cared for most of it's life. ie hangered, good engine, no major damage.

Make sure you take your time and look at a lot of different aircraft.
You will learn a lot about bonanza's doing so.

You'll get a good idea of how many different changes can be made on the same model Bonanza through the years.

I pretty much stayed away from highly modified aircraft that didn't look like the original Bonanza model Beech manufactured it to be.

I was really looking for an aircraft that still had a lot of it's original vintage looks, yet updated avionics and flight instrument.

For a first time Bonanza owner, I just wanted to know exactly what I was getting into.

I'm currently involved in a project on my F35 Bonanza to correct things that had been over looked by the previous long time owner.

So far I am learning a lot about Bonanza's and I have no regrets other than not buying an Bonanza long ago.

Good Luck

Tony
brad hammond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1948 35 and have been really happy. They are a great aircraft. My only complaint is the Dutch Roll (Bonanza Boogie) but it is easy to get used to. From what I have read about the tail problems I'd say go with a small tail over the big tail. Good luck in your search. The more you look and talk about them the more you will learn.
Harv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

brad hammond wrote:
I'd say go with a small tail over the big tail.

Do you mean to avoid the H models on? I was under the impression that these were better than the early ones as far as less problems, and less dutch roll.

John
brad hammond

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Dutch Roll Reply with quote

I have been told that the big tails C models and up have less Dutch roll characteristics than the small tails that I fly. But Most of the information that I have read indicate that the big tails have more of the structural flaws that gave the vee tail the bad name. Mainly in part to moving the leading edge of the stabilizer forward and leaving the forward spar in the orginal postion.

Here is the article that I read.

http://www.tsgc.utexas.edu/archive/general/ethics/vtail.html

Good Luck
Harv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Yes. And I think that when the H (1957) came out they had changed the tail once again. The easy way to tell is that it has the longer trim tabs. If I'm not mistaken that is the same tail that they used till the last one in 82.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: