VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baron 55 operation costs (I know, it's a weird subject...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKirkpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Baron 55 operation costs (I know, it's a weird subject...) Reply with quote

It's weird on this forum, I know... that said, does anyone know how to project an hourly operation cost for a Baron 55? This one's about a 1970 with low time engines. I know there's probably a rule of thumb for this??? Thanks! —dan
bgwells
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Baron 55 operation costs Reply with quote

It's a good question to ask on this forum, many Bonanza owners eventually want to transition up or consider owning a twin engine plane. So I'll attempt to address some issues to consider. First, the Baron is a pleasure to fly, good speed and actually good useful load. All Beech products were designed for easy pilot transition all the way up to a King Air. It will be very familiar on controls, locations etc. So learning to fly it will not take long. However you still are challenged with all the standard twin engine issues or operation and safety training for engine out procedures would be wise. The early Baron with the IO-470 260hp engines are nice. Just figure 12 gallons per hour times two. Figure engine reserves, (cost of overhaul divided by number of hours usually figure TBO hours). Also consider Oil changes, and inspections. Other then that, you have a single airframe. The Baron is really a Bonanza with engines on the wing, not exactly, but close. You have several fuel bladders in the wing and they get old and leak, pay close attention to that. Then comes the insurance issues. Insurance today, is wanting the pilot to have a instrument rating, they want you to have lots of current multi time, and they want time in type. They are also getting picky about how old the airplane is, some companies will not write a policy on a twin older than 1970.
DKirkpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the really informative coaching. I'm hearing others talk in terms of "better figure $300 per hour" - makes the single engine Bonanza look pretty efficient. Thanks for your response. —dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: