VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has Britton tip tanks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Who has Britton tip tanks? Reply with quote

Well, I finally got my own Bonanza! It's a 59 K-35 with tip tanks and a host of upgrades.
Anyone ever have trouble getting all the fuel out of the main aux tanks? The previous owner had all the fuel selectors rebuilt and they feel like new. However in stedy state cruse, the right aux finishes and sucks air before the left one does. I'm having it looked at next week but was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.

John
jzeggert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Aux Tank Uneven fuel flow Reply with quote

The reason you have uneven fuel flow and one tank empties before the other is you have a sticking or partially obstructed check valve on the tank that is not being emptied. They are easily accessed and are easily taken apart and cleaned. Use care during reinstallation as they are marked with an arrow for correct orientation. Really is a very simple thing to accomplish. Hope this helps you. (If it were me I would do both sides to ensure even flow)
John Zeggert
Harv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your answer. I was noticing that there was a check valve in the system from the POH and was wondering the same thing.

John
Harv

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Aux Tank Uneven fuel flow Reply with quote

[quote="jzeggert"]you have a sticking or partially obstructed check valve on the tank that is not being emptied. They are easily accessed and are easily taken apart and cleaned.[/quote]

I found the check valves. They are in front of where the wheel would be when the gear is up. In other words, behind the closed gear doors. How do I release the gear doors without doing a gear swing on jacks?

John
jzeggert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-

Here is what I recommend : First Disconnect battery then
You can gain access to the wheel wells by engaging the handle on the gearbox and partially RAISE the gear. Don't remember how many turns it takes but it isn't too many. this will lower the inner gear doors and ONLY go far enough to allow access. When finished carefully crank the hand crank in opposite direction until it comes to the internal mechanical stops. Reconnect the battery and check for gear down light. During all this do not ever force the crank - if it takes considerable force then something is amiss. It should move easily in both directions. This should help you.

John Zeggert
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Please excuse me for interjecting but! Reply with quote

The last time I saw someone begin to crank the gear doors down without the airplane on jacks, they had a huge repair bill because the first thing that happens is the nose gear become unlocked and begins to retract with each turn, beginning with the first turn. I would personally never touch the hand crank without the airplane on jacks! The nose gear begins to retract as the inner gear doors are lowered. The inner gear doors have to lower before the mains can begin their trip up, but at that time the nose gear is just about completed its trip up into the gear well.
Harv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise from both! Looks like I might have access to jacks so I'll see where that gets me.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: