VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote oil filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Remote oil filter Reply with quote

I'm planning on adding a remote spin-on filter to my D35 with E225. I like a model from ADS in Seattle, but having trouble deciding where to mount it...

I already have an air/oil separator on the right side and additionally would like to move the battery to a firewall box, so that side will be pretty full. On the left, I have space on the firewall access to the instrument panel, but have reservations about strength of this area and inconvenience if needing access to instuments...

Any suggestions or experience with locating the filter bracket or other brands of remote filters would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
D35
KDVT
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Remote oil filter placement location Reply with quote

Although I haven't been involved in the installation of one of these, my first thought would be to have it located in a area accessable from the left side of the cowling access door. I'm just guessing without much thought but a bracket may be created along the channel on either side that I have depicted. I'm not familiar with the ADS oil filter, do they have a web address. If it's a STC, does is state a specific location for mounting?

http://www.vintagebonanza.com/images/B35-engine-compartment.jpg

Bryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed an oilfilter on my E225-8. Peace of cake. remove the oil screen put on the oil filter attach the oil temp wire. good to go. Oh yah, get a mech to help you. and don't for get the STC.
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a remote filter, but I'm pretty happy with my SunRise filter adapter that was made by Lew Gage of ABS fame. It does mount the filter horizonally, so it it can be a bit messy to change until you get the hang of it. I prefer it over the various remote filters because it has no hoses to worry about.

Am not sure its an option for you, though, as I vaguely remember hearing that Lew was stopping production of them. Not enough sales to keep it going. Does anyone know for sure?
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Oil Filter kits from Lew Gage (Sunrise) Reply with quote

Yes, I received a email from Lew back a few months ago stating that when he gets enough orders together he would have more made.

www.vintagebonanza.com/spin_on_oil_filter_stc_kits.htm
pilotchiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Lets get 25 people together, I'm 1 who's 2 Reply with quote

I'm tired of changing oil every month or sooner (25 hrs) and oil isn't getting any cheaper. At 54.00 a case of W100 the filter would quikly pay for itself. Is there 25 people reading this that will agree? Please say, yes.
pilotchiro@yahoo.com
lets get an order together, what do you say?
ekusafetyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: sunrise filter Reply with quote

I also added a Lew Gage sunrise oil filter adapter to my straight 35 severalyears ago and it was easy and a quality part.
Serial 1212
Richmond, KY
Alan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: ADC Remote Filter Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thanks for all the suggestions after my original post... Sorry to be so long in reporting my progress.

The last time I talked to Lew Gage, he said that he had no plans to produce new filter kits, but would re-certify any of his adapters aquired from salvage...

So, as it turned out, I did buy the ADC remote filter... I am pleased with the quality of the kit. My only reservation would be the hoses and fittings. I'm sure they would have been ok, but I just happened to have some better hoses and fittings available, so I used them instead.
Overall I would recommend this kit. I bought mine directly from ADC, which was cheaper than through some of the parts houses, Spruce, Chief, etc.

http://www.aviationdevelopment.com/

My IA decided to fabricate a new stainless steel panel to replace the instrument access panel on the left firewall. We then mounted the filter adapter there and I'm pleased with the outcome. The installation is clean and strong and we saved the original panel cover in case we would ever want to undo the installation.

Have some photos for anyone serious about this type of installation. Let me know, if you want them.

Alan

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: