VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L2 Lear Auto Pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcureton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: L2 Lear Auto Pilot Reply with quote

As the proud new owner of an near orignal F35 Bonanza, I am currently pondering up grades. My F35 has the Lear compass style DG, AI,and a L2 control unit mounted over the center control tube beneath the cluster gages.

My question is the Lear L2 auto pilot and the coupled Lear flight instruments worth saving or repairing for the sakes of 1955 originality.

I can't seem to find any detailed information on the web concerning operation and repair on this system.
pilotchiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't ever get mine to work reliably or really just work. I did remove everything and gained some useful load and back seat leg room from the power box. I went back with new style instruments and as far as IFR flight is concerned I wouldn't look back even if it isn't original. I do have all the parts if you decide to fix yours and can't find something you need.

John
tcureton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John for your L2 autopilot experience and L2 spare parts offer.
I've already decided to go your route and replace all the flight instruments with new or updated ones.

My thoughts are to use either an Stec 30 or the Stec 50 autopilot.
I am hoping to find updated flight instruments that can be mounted from the back side of the panels.

I just don't care for drilling holes in the front of the instrument panel to
mount the new instruments.
pilotchiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a trick I used for the Heading indicator since the hole is to small for the new style flat card. I used a NuLite brand panel light ring and shaved off the lip that extends past the hole normally. This allows you leave the original hole alone. My 52' had standard holes for a 3 1/2 instrument predrilled around the old HI, I hope yours is. I used a reducer ring from Aircraft spruce for the AI and used the existing threaded hole to mount it then you can get to the screws from the front for the new AI. My mechanic had some blind nuts like they used originally in the panel so I didn't have to drill the panel to mount anything. But, my mechanic said if he was installing it he would of drilled it. Your arm is never long enough to reach that last screw. Have lots of screws handy because you will drop a few into the piano key switches. Go ahead and put the NuLites on all the critical instruments, it's worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: