VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey, anybody have a good flying adventure to share?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Flying Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Hey, anybody have a good flying adventure to share? Reply with quote

Lets share some stories about flying our Bonanza's. Add information about performance of airplane, route of flight, weather conditions, and interesting details along route or stops.

Also, this is a great place to post any future flying adventure locations or get togethers.
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Flying trips Reply with quote

Is anyone taking their Bonanza on a long cross crountry trip this summer?
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Hey, anyone flying much this summer? Reply with quote

Sure is Hot in Texas this summer, not much flying in the heat and high gas prices.
pilotchiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Big Bend Flying Reply with quote

I have been flying my 52' C35 to Terlingua Ranch 1E2, once a month for the last year to provide care to the locals in the area. Terlingua Ranch has a great 4000 ft. gravel strip at close to 4000 ft elevation. You land into the canyon and take off out of it no matter what the wind is because the strip slopes down out of the canyon and there is not much in your way that direction. In June it was 117 F down at the rio grande river, and 110 F at the strip. The old bonanza loaded to gross didn't even care. Of coarse it doesn't know any better since I keep it on a 2000' strip in a cow pasture back at home. (It's good to be a Texan).The Ranch has a great lodge and resturant, so let me know if you want more details to make your next long weekend a fun flying adventure.

John
pilotchiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: September Trip to Madison, WI Reply with quote

I have a late summer trip planned from my home in Point, TX to Madison, WI. It will be 687 mile trip one way, and the weather never seams to cooperate when I fly farther north than oklahoma. I guess I could say I'm practicing to build up the nerve to fly into the mosquito's nest called Oshkosh. Hopefully someone is planning a longer trip or more exotic, soon.
doaspiras

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Trips in the US Reply with quote

I fly periodically from Houston, Tx to Central and South Florida to visit friends and family. I suggest if you fly VFR or IFR leave early in the morning. During the summer time, the heat and moisture buildup quickly occurr along the gulf coast. In the winter, you have to watch for the winter fronts blowing in some potential severe storms ahead of them.
Of course you can take advantage of the great tail winds to move across the ground at 200kts plus.

My suggested routing from Houston to Tampa is SBI VOR - PFN VOR - TERES Int - CTY VOR - TPA. This brings you over some water, but within gliding distance to land. If you have to stop, there is Mobile or Pensacola which is half the distance. Both these places have nice hotels and courtesy vehicles. Gas is expensive, but isn't aviation in general? On the way back, an excellent fuel and food stop is BTR. Very cheap gas and friendly folks.

Have a SAFE flight!
doaspiras

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: flights to Key West Florida Reply with quote

Whenever you are in FL, a very nice place to visit and is worth the experience is going to Key West. This place is paradise on the southermost tip of the US. My suggested routing from anyway in central FL is fly direct to Key West or Marathon. I suggest Marathon only to get the cheapest gas and self serve. Key West is less than a 10 min flight to Key west.

The water is an incredible sight to see. Looking at the pictures, you can't believe the blue turquoise color unless you were there. The places to stay and eat are very nice. If you bring your wife or girlfriend, she will be very impressed. Flying your bonanza is the best way to get to Key West. The drive just from Homestead to Key West is 2 hours at best. From Orlando you can add 5 hrs. A flight from Orlando to Key West is 1.5hrs!

When flying to Key West, there is a 99% chance you will fly over water. Just as a precaution, I suggest you bring along life rafts. They are cheap insurance if needed.

Have a great day!
Harv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, when flying to The Key's. "Never mind the weather, Watch out for the tether!" There is a tethered balloon to 14000"!!!

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/airdef/tars.htm

John
brad hammond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Aircraft purchase Reply with quote

I heard tell of someone that bought a Beech 35 in Sacramento CA sight unseen. Flew out there and brought her home. The weather was terrible the day he left so he scud run to the Tehachapi pass and chased mountain canyons all the way to Albuquerque NM. Heading through that nasty squall line that destroyed the Kansas town in May into Missouri. I was told it took three days of scud running and sleeping in the Beech. What a way to get to know your aircraft.
n46ws

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: 26 hours, 3600 nm, and 13 quarts of oil Reply with quote

In early Jan 2008 I flew my 1948 Straight 35 from Northern Idaho to Oceanside CA, Catalina Island, 29 Palms, Ramona (San Diego), Grand Canyon, Monument valley, and back via San Diego.

I took off solo in a snow storm and flew IMC for the first 2+ hours. Refueled at Wells Nevada then continued South. Tried to maintain VFR but ended up contacting center and going IFR. Last 2 hours were night VFR into Oceanside. A warm, welcome change from the North.

I picked up my 19 year old daughter and an old friend in San Diego and flew to Grand Canyon, Page, Monument Valley, and Bryce Canyon. Grand Canyon was nice, but not nearly as impressive as it was when I flew there in the '80s when you could still fly under the rim.

Had a great trip but I don't recommend Grand Canyon or Monument Valley in the Winter. It's COLD with periods of clouds and reduced visibility! I flew south to get away from the ice and snow but found plenty more at Grand Canyon airport (6600 msl). Still a great trip. Weather was OK but it could have been better. It was VERY difficult leaving San Diego. 73 degrees when I left there.

Had some minor problems with the push-to-talk and prop control cable, but other than the old bird did great. Had 30k tailwinds heading South but 40k headwinds northbound out of San Diego. Spent the night in Southern Nevada. Next day had mild headwinds, turning to mild tailwinds the last 2 hours into N. Idaho. Winds were 50+k from the West; VERY wild ride on a refueling stop at Lewiston Idaho.

I'm looking forward to my next trip. Thinking about Oshkosh this year. Actual flying will have to wait 4-8 weeks as my plane is snowed in at a private strip with 3 feet of snow on the ground. We were able to plow it until 2 weeks ago but now there's too much snow to plow.

Take care. Good flying.
Jim
N. Idaho
Harv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Trips Reply with quote

I just did CGF (Cleveland Oh) to PSF (Pittsfield Mass.) a few days later. It was the first flight since flying back from my annual and instalation of a D'Shannon baffle kit. Also a first on this flight was my new 496. What a great unit!
I took off form CGF with 2 1/2 miles and light snow. 2500 scattered and 5000 overcast. Along the route it was MVFR but as I was on an IFR it was no biggy. Had a 172 kt ground speed and an indicated of 154 knots. 14GPH. 280 on the CHT's except #1 that was 310. I think it's the probe as that one was 380 before the new baffles.
I looked at houses and a few days returned with my Mom. (She can't keep away from her new Grand Daughter!) We took off from PSF and climbed on top through a scattered layer, contacted Albany app. and picked up the IFR. 6000 all the way on top. Smooth and with a rare west bound GS of 165!!!! We diverted to Franklin Pa (FKL) and had lunch and topped off 4.05 a gal! Another quick flight back to CGF.
Mom even helped push the Bonanza back in the hanger!.

I'm really waving the flag to fly to Sedona Az. this spring. i hope the winter winds have died down by then.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Flying Trips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: