VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beech Electric prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad hammond

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Beech Electric prop Reply with quote

I have recently found a used beech electric 88 prop for sale to install on a friends 47. But this prop happens to have clipped blades cut down and squared. Does anyone know if this is a legal mod, and if so what difference it makes in the performance of the prop
brad hammond

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered rumor that after the 225 change people could either buy a 84" square tip prop or cut down the 88" in order for the prop to handle the higher RPMs. Anyone else heard this rumor or have anything to add?
VinceGlorioso

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: (Clipped) 84" propellor can not legally be used on the Reply with quote

Sorry, not sure of which exact electric propellor you have, it does not matter, as the shortest legally permissible electric prop for the straight 35 is 86 1/4 inches.
This goes for the R203, B200, and 215-series of Beech propellors.
It is legal to "shorten" the 215-series prop all the way down to 82", but that is too short to use on a 35.

The reasons (and there are many) NOT to clip the 88" propellor are:
A loss of efficiency (longer is better)
A loss of smoothness (more spinning mass=smoother)
A loss of engine braking during descents
and, of course, once you clip the metal it can never be put back.

I do understand that you were not responsible for the shortening, of course.

I have a C35 with an E-225-8 and the 215 electric prop with 88" blades, I wouldn't change to shorter blades for the few extra hp I would develop for all of 10 seconds a flight as I transition from liftoff through gear retraction.
And the prop is type certificated (P-973) for 285 hp on takeoff, 275 hp continuous, regardless of blade length, it's not a matter of handling it, it's whether or not the prop "allows" the engine to develop the full horsepower.
brad hammond

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the average selling price of a used 88" electric 215?
VinceGlorioso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Used electric prop price Reply with quote

I have heard from $2000-$3000 for used 215 props.
I also know from personal experience that is costs about $1500 to get the prop pitch change motor overhauled, and our pitch change bearing servicing is $800, plus another $400 for the stripping and repaint of the blades that we do every four years.

There was a NOS Hartzell propellor for sale on eBay for $4000, never installed, complete from the crankshaft forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: