VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance/claim question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n46ws

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Insurance/claim question Reply with quote

A month ago I took my 1948 Bonanza to an avionics shop for a minor
avionics upgrade. While taxiing the avionics tech left the tow bar
attached and the prop hit the tow bar. I want to contact their insurance
carrier to arrange for an overhauled prop and engine teardown inspection,
but the avionics firm refuses to give me their insurance information, instead wanting me to work through them.

I am new to aircraft insurance but that doesn't seem right. Shouldn't I
be working with their insurance company directly?

Also, can propeller and engine shops bill the insurance company directly?
I don't have $15,000+ front money to get the repair and inspections
performed THEN file a claim.

Thanks,
Jim
N. Idaho
Straight 35
Harv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not "right".

Many small shops struggle under the weight of good insurance so when it comes time for a claim, many would rather just pay out of pocket than up their rates by making a claim. As I said, it's not right but is done. I'd give them a chance to work with you. BUT MAKE IT KNOWN TO THEM THAT AT THE FIRST SIGN OF SOMETHING YOU DON'T LIKE you are going to file a claim with your company. Your company will go after their insurance company. Let them duke it out. That's what we pay them for.

Whatever you do, be careful .

Good luck

John

On second thought. Since they wouldn't tell you the name of their insurance company, I'd just contact my agent.
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Insurance/claim question Reply with quote

A couple of things to consider:

1.) The avionics shop may or may not have current in effect insurance coverage.

2.) If you have coverage, your carrier would allow you to file a claim on your policy and cover you according to your own policy limits. Your carrier would then most likely subrogate against the avionics shop. This would be done by an attorney.

3.) Take photos and get written statements and names, any witnesses get them too. Collect all the relative information as possible. Talk with your own insurance company and get the advice from them or an attorney.

Usually what would happen is the avionics shop would call up their own insurance company right away and let them know about this and have them send out an adjuster. They would most likely arrive at some dollar figure and cut you a check, I would at least go get some hard copy repair estimates for the work you think is needed to repair your plane just to have ready for when and if that happens.

Just some ideas.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: