VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Wing bolts Reply with quote

What's the deal with wing bolts? A friend of mine said he thought they were a 6 year replacement item. I'm looking at an early Bonanza that has not had them replaced.
What's the deal?

TIA

John
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Wing Bolts Reply with quote

I don't know of any AD's that require the wing bolts to be replaced. You might find them in a Service Bulletin for inspection etc. What happens, is water can collect in the top front and rear wing bolt areas or access wing attach points underneath the cover plates. There is a drain hole that should be kept open. So depending on how old the Bonanza is and how and where it was kept, does a person ever really know if it had standing water in that location and for how long? What many people have done is to go ahead and pull the wing bolts for inspection. Some return the bolts to service or why not just replace while you have the opportunity to do so.

Most people, after going to all the trouble of checking and finding out that the bolts are fine, wish they had never started that project in the firs place. But after fifty years and many previous owners, it's a piece of mind replacement item. I think it is only in rare cases where anyone has actually found a bad wing bolt from corrosion.
Harv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan, thanks for the reply. It seemed to me that years ago when I was flying a BE-58 for a 135 service we had to have them replaced and it was a big PIA. I was just worried that they were a time item. Thanks. This Bonnana that I'm looking at had not had them replaced and I was just wondering..

John
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Wing Bolts Reply with quote

Well, it could be different for a 58 Baron and it being in a 135 operation than a 35/33/36 series Bonanza. Also consider the insurance companies coverage and requirements for policy to be in effect. If the inspections for that particular airframe are listed in the shop or maintenance manual, then that is required, and a AD or SB would be needed to make it that way. I just don't know without checking for that particular instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: