VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F35 Retractable Step

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcureton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: F35 Retractable Step Reply with quote

The retractable step cable on my newly purchased 1955 F35 has been disconnected and replaced by a bungee cord. The original cable is broken and is now tied and folded back by the previous owner or mechanic. Can anyone tell me how much trouble will it be to get this cable replaced and back working as it was designed new by Beechcraft.

Tony
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: RE: F35 Retractable Step Reply with quote

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum,
It's becoming more common to find the retractable step not working anymore on the older Bonanza. In later year models the step became a fixed step. A good place to begin to understand the workings of the retractable step is from the Beech Parts Manual illustrated diagram. The step itself is retracted by the springs rear of the baggage bulkhead. The tension from the springs hold up the step during flight. When the landing gear is deployed, a multistranded encased cable that is attached to the upper shaft of the retractable step and runs through the cabin along the right side panel and lower flooring up into the nose gear wheel well, and is attached to the nose gear. As the landing gear is deployed, the nose gear pulls on the cable which in turn pulls down the retractable step and holds it down as long as the lnading gear is down. The spring tension is at its greatest when the step is down. There is a shear tab that connects the cable to the step shaft, it is there for a reason, in case the step binds it is suppose to break and allow the landing gear to continue to deploy, sometimes these break and the quick action of the return spring pull up the step and causes a loud noise which is very scary as you deploy the landing gear for landing. Actually many things can break including the cable itself etc. For you, I would first inspect to see what is connected up the the nose gear wheel well. You would probably find that the cable in that location is also disconnected and tied off out of the way, if it isn't, it should be at this point. Again, look at the parts manual and see what parts you have or need and obtain them. You might have a log book entry that mentions the retract step, but not too likely. The step was type certificated for your model Bonanza and should be operative. As you notice other Bonanza, they have theirs removed, (they call it a speed mod!) oh well, maybe, maybe not. Others have detached the springs and leave the step in the down position all the time, which would cause some drag, but yours is probably in the up position like it should be for in flight but it stays up while gear down and on the ground making it unusable for you and your passengers and puts undue stress on the right flap and flap brackets and hardware. So, check and make sure your safe to fly in the mean time and then get out he parts manual and locate the needed parts to repair.
tcureton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bryan, for your prompt and detailed response to my novice question regarding the broken retractable step. I've just recently ordered a parts manual for this aircraft and and it has yet to arrive. I'm completely new to the world of the Beechcraft V-tail Bonanza. The opposite end of the step retract cable is disconnected and tied back in the nose geer wheel well as you described. I can't seem to find any logbook entry on when this was disconnected or why?
Jim Aitken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Retractable Step Reply with quote

I cut my access step off at the fuselage line, rotated the oval tubing 90 degrees for less drag, installed a centre reinforcing tube, reworked the step portion, and rewelded everything back together. I had the assembly rechromed at a Hot Rod hop. It is now fixed down and shiny where it can do no harm. I can send a picture if anyone is interested.

Jim Aitken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: