VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artificial Horizon Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Artificial Horizon Replacement Reply with quote

What I think is the original ADI type just failed in our F-35 (wont find level at start). Is is better to replace the original or have it overhauled? Suggestions on what to replace it with or where to overhaul? Are non-autopilot ADI's universal or are there differences?

Thanks
bgwells
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: RE: Artificial Horizon Replacement Reply with quote

If you have the original style AH, then it's larger than the more modern day AH. It is vacuum driven and so as long as what you are replacing it with, is the same hole size and vacuum, then no worries. I don't think you will find any autopilot connections with this unit. Do you have a auto pilot in your F35?

As far as overhaul, you would just have to contact a list of instrument shops and let them tell you what the cost is to overhaul or replace. The older instruments are hard to get parts for so many shops just will not work on anything this old, due to lack of parts source for what ever it needs. The good side is there were lots of them made and plenty of old ones still around and on the shelf. I would guess that you could post ad on Barnstormers or Beech swap page and get a replacement. Have you already removed yours?

New style will be smaller and will have to have an adapter to fit the original large Beech cut out hole.

I think the least costly way to go is to find a serviceable unit and replace.

Good Luck.

Bryan
VinceGlorioso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: What I would have bought Reply with quote

If you fly your Bonanza IFR, I would suggest a new SigmaTek 5000B-60 (unlighted) or 5000B-62 (lighted) if you do not already have a low vacuum annunicator, as this instrument also has a ball (inclinonmeter) that will be in front of your eyes, instead of to the side.
Vince Glorioso C35
VinceGlorioso

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Oops ... Reply with quote

I remember now why we did not buy the AI with the low vacuum warning flag: If you have the original 4" vacuum system with the wet pump, the flag will show because that is not enough vacuum to pull the flag out of view. Just buy a new lighted or unlighted AI with the ball, and consider getting a low vacuum indicator that is adjustable to the slightly lower vacuum system in the vintage Bonanza's.

It is dangerous to have a vacuum pump fail and have you not notice it, or enter a spin because you didn't have the ball centered in a stall.

Just my opinion, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> Maintenance Items All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: