VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mogas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Mogas Reply with quote

This is the first summer we've owned a F-35 with the mogas STC. Been told by many that I wont be able to use it in the summer (many say I can't use it at all) but with gas prices the way they are we've been trying. The only issue I've had thus far was on climbout after the airplane sat in the sun on a 103 deg day for 6 hours. Passing 3K the fuel pressure started to drop off a bit (7 psi on the stock gauge) but switching to the aux fixed it in short order. Anyone else running Mogas have any issues?
tcureton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Mogas Reply with quote

The issue's regarding the use of Mogas in your Bonanza can be a very simple one or as complex as Nuclear physic.

Let me give you the bad news before the good news from my point of view as I know it.

Mogas will evaporate more easier than 100 Avgas which leads to a prime factor for vapor lock in the fuel lines in a hot engine compartment.

Vapor lock is what happens to fuel (Avgas or Mogas) in the process or be pumped from the fuel tanks that begins to evaporate within the fuel lines enroute to your thirsty engine via fuel injector manifold or carburetor.

The other issue, which is becoming a bigger factor is alcohol blended into
Mogas.

If you think straight Mogas will boil away in your fuel lines just pour some
alcohol in a dish on a hot summer day. ( part I)
tcureton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Mogas (part II) Reply with quote

I would sample check for alcohol in the Mogas that you purchase before pouring it into your tanks.

The EAA should be able to give you detailed instructions on how to perform this simple, but important task!

Not only does alcohol make vapor lock an even larger factor on hot summer days but your rubber tank liner and Curtis valve drain grommets hate the stuff.

That was the bad news now for the good news.

I know many many older Bonanza owners and mechanics who have use nothing but Mogas in their aircraft for years and tell me its better for there engine than 100 Avgas.

I'm told by them that its the lead that never completely get burned away in the lower compression engine that gum up the exhaust valves causing them to stick.

I heard of an old timer who had flown his 1953 C35 Bonanza for fifty years and 4000 hours on nothing but mogas without any problems.

Over all the choice is yours, but be more careful on those very hot day's when vapor lock could be a real factor.

Tony
mt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. There is a local gas station that, for some reason, is proud of the fact they don't use ethanol and advertise it. I still check but it is nice to buy at $.80 less a gallon. We have been successful so far but still don't know what to do if the engine vapor locks. Swicthing tanks worked with decreasing fuel pressure but I really can't say why since they are located in the same place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: