VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aviation Research STC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> TCM Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad hammond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Aviation Research STC Reply with quote

I currently own a 1948 35, with a E-185-11. I am considering an engine upgrade and have read a little on the Aviation Research web site about using the Millennium IO-470-N cylinders. Has anyone done this mod? What are the results and could I possibly use my E-185-11 crankcase and Crankshaft?
VinceGlorioso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Aviation Research Conversion Reply with quote

From what I recall talking to the guy that volunteered his C35 for flight testing (700 hours of flying) to the project:
The conversion can be done on any E-185-11 or E-225-8 engine WITH the Hartzell prop conversion. The testing was not done with the electric prop, so, for that reason only, it is not approved. The mod includes the installation of an additional cooling vent on the left side for additional air cooling. This had to be done because there was "marginal" overheating happening on the required Vy or Vx climb to 10K feet.
It adds six knots of speed to the top end of cruise, and 300 fpm climb rate at Vy.
Also, it requires the use of 100LL, though, if 100LL becomes unavailable, the timing can be retarded back 4 degrees to allow the use of unleaded gasoline.
It is approved only for the C35-G35, they have higher allowable horsepower ratings for the airframe.
If I had a 35-B35, I would stick with the E-225-8 and the 88" electric prop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> TCM Engines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: