VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical Components

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norse

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Electrical Components Reply with quote

Just a word to make note of the value of the websites Beechcraft Electrical Items page of the Refurbishment tab. I required two (2) relays: battery relay (master) and starter relay. Note: these items are recommended for replacement after 1000 hrs and 800 hrs., respectively. When was the last time yours was changed? For me, I don't thing they have ever been changed since 1950. There's certainly no log book entry showing that they have. And, since the engine has been overhauled to include all the assessories, it only made sense that these two items got replaced. RAPID wants $280.53 and $423.89, respectively, for each. RAPID has replacement part numbers and refer to their part numbers as kits. They don't identify what's in the kit. The Starter Relay Kit # is 36-3008-1S. I don't have their number for the Master Relay. This is all outrageous!

I found the 6041H105 Master Relay for $195 at Flame Enterprises (Phone 818 700-2905) and the 1464 Starter Relay (Part Number 24041 by Cole Hersee) for $23.95 at Truck & Auto Supply Inc. - (Phone 714 999-7777). Ace Electric as a source for the starter solenoid no longer exist. They were bought out by WAI. Sorry, I don't have a number for them.
lejambcr

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Starter Relay Reply with quote

I need to replace my starter relay too. You didn't say which starter you have, is it by chance an E-80? Any additional details you could provide would be very helpful. Thanks, Charlie
norse

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Yes. E80 Starter. Your question begs the question: Does the 36E14 Starter call for a different starter relay? Sounds like you know something I haven't considered.
lejambcr

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Starter Relay Reply with quote

Well, I have always suspected a different relay for the 36E14, but never really looked into it. I think the E80 draws more current. Is the relay you purchased available at most auto parts stores? Who is the manufacturer (Cole Hersee)? My current relay is very similar to the master relay. Both are manufactured by Cutler-Hammer. Two LARGE terminals and two small on both.
Bryan Wells

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: starter relay Reply with quote

The relays are the same for both starters. The starter relay only has to have 6 volts to keep the relay contact closed. It is a normally open relay and is a momentary relay. If you had a volt meter attached to your electrical system you'd notice that when the starter is activated, you system voltage is greatly reduced from the normal 12V (approximately). The starter can draw your system down toward the 6V range. Some 12V activate relays will drop back to open at the lower ranges of voltage. Now , just because the relay is 6V activated doesn't mean is supplies 6V through the main contacts, is has nothing to do with that. All it does is make the contact close to complete a circuit, which in this case is a 12V system. It's just that when the starter button is pushed and it activates the starter relay to supply the voltage to the starter and the starter draws lots of amperage and the voltage drops below 12, the starter relay activation circuit will continue to operate at a reduced voltage all the way down to 6V or less, until the starter button is released. Sorry to ramble, but just trying to make a point. Now, Raytheon today has a kit that will give you two of the same type continuous duty relays, its just that the one used for the starter relay is a 12V and isn't rated to operate quite as low operating voltage as the original relays. They basically take a mater relay and use it as a battery relay.
lejambcr

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Starter Relay Reply with quote

Understood. I found the Cole-Hersee relay at several websites. If it is indeed an exact cross reference partnumber, then all should go well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: