VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index VintageBonanza Forum
A Forum for Beechcraft Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil check on E 225

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> TCM Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilotchiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: oil check on E 225 Reply with quote

What is the proper way to check the oil level on the E series engines? Just recently I heard you are to drop the dip stick straight down into the tank to get the proper reading. I have been locking the cap down on the neck to get the reading. Not that it matters that much, but I would like to know.

Thanks,
bgwells
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Checking oil level E225 Reply with quote

There are a couple of methods for checking oil level on the E225's. One would be to check before flight or engine run up. The other is is after flight. The reason I say this is because on the E-series engines in the Bonanza, the oil resevoir is seperate from the engine and at the bottom of the engine accessory case are the scavenge pump gears that return oil to the tank or resevoir. After the plane sits for awhile, the oil will seep back into the engine through a check valve in the accessory case in behind the oil screen. There is a o-ring around it that usually goes bad and allows the oils to seep out of the resevoir into the engine. However when the engine is running, the two sets of gear pumps are at work and it doesn't matter. You have a pressure pump that takes oil from the resevoir and pushes through the engine. The oil accumulates to the back of the accessory case where the scavenge pump returns to the resevoir. The resevoir is also a oil cooler. With this understanding, it just depends on the condition of the check vavle o-ring. If you go out for first flight, you should have at least oil on the chain that dangles at the end of the dip stick. At that level you would have about 3-4 Qts. in the resevoir and about 3-4 Qts. in the engine. If you go run the engine for a 3 - 5 minutes and then recheck, you should find that the resevoir will have more oil reading on the dip stick as the scavenge pump has cleared the engine and the oil has not had time to seep back into the engine. Again depends on the condition of the o-ring on the check valve.

When I change the oil on a E-series, I fill back up with 7-8 Qts and check the dip stick, usually reads that amount. Then I go fly around the field and return and check again. When the oil is hot it will seep back down into the engine more quickly. The next day I will check oil on dip stick again. At the point it will be just barely shoing on the dip stick above where the chain attaches. Then I know what I have. Let me know if this helps?
Alan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: oil check E225 Reply with quote

Good info from bgwells.

I would only add that I always try to check my oil level within a few minutes of shutdown. I point the stick straight down and try to keep the level between 7 and 8 qts. When the level is at the bottom of the stick, I add a quart, bringing it back up to about 8. When cold, the level is almost always off the stick, but can be seen on the chain.

I only use a quart about every 7 hours. I think most leaks out, not burned...

I too only add about 8 quarts at oil change, then monitor the level. If you put in all 10, it seems to blow it out until it reaches 8+/-...

Good luck,

Alan
D35
KDVT
jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same method as Brian and Allan. Works for me fine

Jim A35 C-GBII
Eric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: checking oil Reply with quote

There was a SB to drill a hole in the check valve and later they removed them completely. (in my E-185 the check valve has been removed but the housing remains)

This apparently was because some people were turning the prop backwards
and that can blow an oil line, leading to inflight engine failure or fire.
So on my bird at least, I check the oil immediately after shutdown.

Indication after sitting awhile (over a day) when measured straight up and down will be the rivet at the end where the chain attaches or just slightly higher.

Eric
N5126C, B35
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VintageBonanza Forum Forum Index -> TCM Engines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: